Skip to toolbar

My Channel on YoutubeMy Channel on Youtube

Most of my videos of monkeys of Monkey Hill in the early years were casually shot – I didn’t follow any particular individuals nor did I try to recognise any of them, I just filmed whatever came to me on my hikes. The only exception was Stumpy as he was what started me to take videos of monkeys more consistently and he has been my interest on and off since the fall of 2011 when I met him for the very first time.

Stumpy caught my eye one day on my hike in Monkey hill

I’ve never been a regular contributor on Youtube until I started to follow Baty and other babies in June 2016. It just happened on the spur of the moment as a thought came to me that maybe it’d be possible to follow a baby or two ( and the list subsequently grew but thank god the monkeys in Monkey Hill were never as prolific or I’d have to go full-time ). The fact is there were at least a few long lulls in my output – I was away for a whole year in 2012 and wasn’t back in HK until March 2013 and that year I only went back on a few occasions to make sure Stumpy was well. 2014 I was into rock climbing and I only visited Monkey Hill rarely. June 2015 saw my return to hiking past that area and I began to publish at a more regular interval – a mishmash of some old clips as well as more contemporary ones then.

This baby with otapostasis has gotten me into this rather addictive mess

As I could only have Wednesday night and Sunday each week to spend time on my footage my output is rather small and slow compared to many others and if I happen to visit the place twice a week in a row for several weeks then I become really behind with my schedule. At present it’s 8 weeks behind I’m afraid 🙁

As I work through my footage I begin to get a clearer picture of their society, how they interact and relate. Sometimes I’d connect the dots together with clues from footage I shot a good few years earlier and offer a possible explanation. Most of my knowledge of each individual is really a work of intelligent guess based on my observation but as I only see a tiny fraction of their life each week I may err and it has already happened quite a few times 🙁

Like the once infamous Baby-Snatcher – she’s turned out to be a loving mum 🙂

That’s how she came to my notice and my early working hypothesis…

and of course my opinion changed over time as more info has become available to me…

And sometimes I make mistakes too ! The most glaring one was about the sex of Bossy Jr whom I for some reasons had mistaken to be a male at first and for a good few months until one of my viewers pointed it out to me that this baby was actually a girl ! Thinking back I think I must have mistaken Bossy Jr. with another baby I saw of another troop and somehow the two got crossed over in my subconsciousness….

Bossy Jr. daughter of the matriarch born in 2016…

And Bossy Jr is actually a girl o_O’

I can’t control what comes to me nor do I want to engineer a situation to spice and sex things up. I treat my videos as a faithful representation of what happen on my hikes, they are like a hiking-logue to me in essence.

Hong Kong is blessed to have such a vast countryside as part of the city. It’s teeming with wildlife and for most Hongkongers nature is no more than a stone’s throw away. You’d have thought that they should have a better knowledge of their home turf but in actual fact few express any interest outside of work and for many of them the countryside is just a place to have fun – sometimes at the expense of the wildlife there 🙁

30 thoughts on “My Channel on Youtube”

1. Concerned Subscriber says:

You seem to focus exclusively on the babies. If I could make a suggestion, it would be that you also include the more violent and drama-laced material — like fighting, mating, scuffles, play fighting, bickering, displays of dominance, food theft, etc etc etc instead of 24/7/365 babies nursing. While it’s cute to watch, nothing is more aggravating to be watching a baby suck on a breast for 15 minutes only to hear a big fight break out right off camera. And instead of panning over to check it out,t he video just cuts to another baby/scene.

1. Deb says:

I think you misunderstand what is happening here. As far. as I know Marisco is not under contract to you to make videos of the monkeys on Monkey Hill. If he was it would be appropriate for you to tell him what you think should be the content of the videos. As he is not then do try to see how inappropriate it is to tell him what you want to see.

1. Lindsay W says:

AGREED

2. Joan says:

Settle down! The first commenter said they’d “like to make a suggestion”! They weren’t demanding they control the channel. They were simply making a suggestion.
        And I completely agree with that suggestion. We can all learn a LOT more about this species if we can see other behaviors. But I know that all his viewers are old, lonely women who think these animals are human babies. All they want to see are baby monkeys nursing, so that’s all he will be recording.

2. Cathy says:

If u want to watch monkey violence go elsewhere. Sometimes people just want to see the peaceful calm side of mother nature. Im not naive i work with animals every day.

3. Tamara Isakson says:

If I may make a suggestion: look over this website more thoroughly before offering any more embarrassingly immature suggestions for “improvement”.

2. Jerome Walker says:

Not a very accurate description, in my opinion. This user has obviously not seen all your videos, as we’ve witnessed plenty a melee, kidnappings, bickerings, food theft (looking at you, Tina)…and so much more. Even your occasional contest where you tested the babies strength to jump down into the aquifer and attempt to get back out. May I suggest this user do further browsing to achieve their desired suggestion lol

1. Cathy says:

Couldnt have said it better.

3. Jessica Hall says:

I’m starting at the beginning of your vids. There aren’t monkeys in N. America and it’s illegal to own one in Calif. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see them in nature.

4. Jessica Hall says:

Started at the beginning Oct 17th and just finished most recent! Nothing like sitting in the garden being visited by cats, opossums and raccoons while watching monkey vids. I’m hooked.

5. Joyce Beckner says:

Same here Jessica except the same critters only come out at night here but I am addicted to watching these beautiful Monkeys.

6. Mary Anderson says:

Arroz, I did not know how to reach you except through here. I am sorry if this is the wrong venue to reach you about the imposter, formerly known as Brain Dead Caged Lori. There is a post on Heidi Baby’s channel. Here is the link
    When we click on the name it does take us to your website, or it looks like it does. I have never known you to post to other monkey you tube channels, so it is questionable if it is really you, viewers are confused. Either it is you posting or this imposter has gotten really good with mimicking you website. This is what was posted under your name ‘Arroz Marisco 23 hours ago

The best doctor and carer for this baby is her mother Abigail all along and that’s what nature has intended. Another baby will end up in a cage and in a life of sadness ( presumed it’s a reputable NGO and if it’s genuine government action, this baby will very likely be euthanized only as these semi-wild long tailed macaques are treated as rats over there in Cambodia ) just because you have to create drama to line your pockets.’

Is this your post, if not please let your viewers know. I will try to send you a message through another venue also. Mary Anderson

7. Stacey Schlessinger says:

Just wanted to tell you how much I truly love your channel! It brings me joy every day! Wishing you and our amazing troops a very happy International Macaque Day! Keep doing what you do as it inspires us all! https://mona-uk.org/international-macaque-day-2019/

8. le rigby says:

Since I’ve been visiting family in Las Vegas this past week (one more to go) I’ve been trying to catch up on your website stuff…I’ve virtually quit all the abusive Cambodian VO’S except when I need a SP fix to see how he is holding up….unless I want to post info to “newbies” whom need to be educated on the plight of the macaques…keep up the great work….

1. Cathy says:

The VO videos are vile. I saw one where a baby was hit by a moped..the baby was badly injured.
      Due to brain injuries it couldnt walk and could barely hold its head up. The video makers captions were disgusting. I kept watching hoping and praying it would get help. ( im new to this and thought i was clicking onto one of Arozz’s videos) the little baby fought so hard but passed away. I then clicked on the comments thinking i was going to read words of support for this little darling. Boy was i shocked the comments were vile, i know humans can be monsters but those scumbags really shocked me. The website was Monkeykingpopo..this is attracting satans followers so all the VO videos should be removed. R.I.P little one. Arozz’s videos are amazing. I know i shouldnt have a favourite monkey but little Teeny is a little wonder, she works so hard, unfortunatly mum and big sister steal her hard earned food. I hope and pray Arozz can help her. Hes her adopted mum and dad…….

1. Goldie Claar says:

i know how you feel about teeny my husband wants to help her and we live in the states she is precious we followed her brother tiny too he made it and teeny can too she is one tuff little girl
        I too am disgusted by the vo i am hoping someone can do something i got started watching cause of sweet pea and now i am so sickened by what they have done to him he is so heavy is life isnt good and some of the videos they have produced killing monkeys just for videos its horrible we do not watch anymore and we found arroz and then we realized the differnce we only grab onto a sweet pea video now and then to see what hes doing oh and never believe their titles to the vo videos they are staged and lies

9. Mary joyce says:

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see them in nature.

10. Becky says:

Just wanted you to know how much your videos mean to me. I suffer from depression and have a nerve condition that causes severe pain. Monkey Hill has been a ray of sunshine on some dark days. I really love these monkeys!! I have several favorites, Tiny, Spocky, Skinny, Skimpy, Vivy, Grandee, Martha and Lancy’s older son that I think you just named Laddy. I have more, but I guess the list is very long LOL!! You have a gift of bringing them into my life that makes me a better person. You really can’t imagine how much you have helped me!! I appreciate it so much, so thank you from the bottom of me heart!!!

OH, I didn’t list Lubby & family, Stumpy & Stompy…. There are so many
    Becky

1. Loretta Lewis says:

Becky I am there with you. I have an education in medical science, but I have gone through brain surgery from a massive brain hemorrhage and stroke. I can no longer work and as I used to never sit down before, the life of feeling trapped because of many issues, but mostly severe, day to day, unpredictable migraines, this channel has helped me a lot. I get to visit these monkeys, laugh with them, travel outside of my bedroom through Arroz. I started with.the Cambodian channels and learned really fast to not encourage their abuse. I found this channel and now I need to play catch up to learn all I can. When your life is turned upside down from health problems, the depression of having to live a life in a cage is suffocating.

Thank you Arroz for allowing us to travel with you, learn from you, laugh at the silliness of the monkeys and even cry at their saddest moments. I would never be able to see any of this on my own and you are an educated person and you “dumb it down”. You use real terminology and I see how passionate you are about them and making sure your audience is educated more about these monkeys. You should never apologize for any mistake, you are human. As Becky said, these videos really help an really bad days. I am binge watching the videos so I can catch up to the present day videos and know more of what I am seeing. Not having the back story has left me confused a little. Now I know where to learn what I am missing by watching all over your videos.

So much more I would like to say, but I already wrote a book, lol. Thank you for uploading what you do when you can. I appreciate all the time and hard work you put into these videos. I will always support you and your channel. ☺🐒🐵

11. Rosy says:

Mr. M.
    I would like to ask that we (the community of your watchers) try to avoid assigning adult human feelings or motivations to why these baby and young monkeys nurse. They are not greedy, needy, immature, sick, lazy, or addicted to the milk-bar. They are just primates, like we are. Nursing young is what makes a mammal and it is NORMAL. These monkeys have an incredibly complex society and feeding (nursing) their young is a large part of socialization in their society. There is much research about the development of rhesus macaque young, including milk composition, nursing, weaning, and growth and development of mentally healthy monkeys. Time spent on the nipple is not all for nutrition, but without that physical contact, comfort, satisfaction of oral needs, etc., monkeys do not grow up to be mentally healthy. Most people probably do not enjoy reading scientific research papers though so will miss out on understanding just how important this facet of monkey life is to both the physical and mental health of their young and default to human feelings or thoughts.

Understandably, for some of us it may be difficult to separate our human thoughts and feelings from those about the monkeys, especially since we are both primates (and we see much of ourselves in them). The primary function of the mammary gland is feeding or providing comfort to the young. Primates of all types have extended periods of nursing young (some orangs nurse for up to 8 years). As humans we have been able to separate at least some of our biological needs and functions from our culture or society (such as bottles and pacifiers). Monkeys cannot do that and “judging” or negatively commenting about their normal, healthy behaviors is not fair to the monkeys.

Even in humans, the average age of weaning is between three and four years of age (which would be about a year for Rhesus). The World Health Organization, UNICEF, the American Academy of Pediatricians, the US government, and every European health organization recommends that infants be exclusively breast fed for the first six months of life and then continue to nurse until TWO YEARS of age at least while solid foods are introduced. Even the Pope recommends it!

There is a lot of research available about rhesus, nursing, mental health of rhesus, etc. here are just a couple of the interesting ones.

12. Nichole Burd says:

Hello Mr. Arroz, I just wanted to let you know that you have helped me through a very tough spot with your inspirational videos of my favorite primates that exists in our world.
    It is such a pleasure to wake up and see that you have put up a new video. I watch them and it helps me get through my day.
    I thought at one point that I wanted to own my own but, that’s selfish of me. I would not take them out of their habitat. In fact if I could I would move closer so I can see it in real life.
    Again, thank you so very much for everything you do. You are so knowledgeable and it is so wonderful. Please continue to bring those beautiful beings into my life, as well as many others

13. I adore your videos and posts! I don’t know how many years I have been watching but it has been quite a few. I never knew I was interested in primates, let alone become passionate about their lives and mortality. I started first with the orangutans in Borneo and Sumatra, then the Bonobos in the Democratic Republic of China, then on to the mountain gorillas and JANE Goodall’s chimpanzees. It has been a wonderful learning experience for me.
    I watch your videos daily, I was thrilled when you gave them a voice! How I love the babies and their moms. The different personalities are mesmerizing to watch. I watch Tiny videos and Dopey videos over and over. My daughter says I am obsessed because one night I watched for over 4 hours!
    I am a Registered Nurse with 30 years experience. During my career I was also fascinated with the mother/ child bond and all the facets and variables that go into shaping personalities, the nature vs nurture of things.
    Oh my did not mean to ramble on like this….I just wanted to thank you for making it possible for me to observe these wonderful primates in all phases of their lives, so greatly appreciated! And the fact that you possess so much medical information is such a great added bonus!
    Any chance we could learn a little more about you? Like your age, career marital status? Lol , Curious minds would LOVE to know!!!😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊🙊🙉🙈😀

14. LossMentality says:

Arroz, I love your vids. I have a suggestion that I think other viewers would appreciate as well.

I’m wondering if it would be possible, assuming it’s not too much extra work for you, to put the date each video was filmed (or date range, if a video contains clips filmed across several days) into each video’s YouTube description.

The reason I’m requesting this is simple: I like tracking the development of these young primates, and to aid in this we have your estimates of their birthdates here on am360view. But, while we have the date the videos are published on YouTube, that date is always some unknown amount of time after they’re filmed, which means it’s therefore difficult to know with any degree of certainty how old any infants featured in a given video are. In short, the goal of this request is to allow viewers to link infant age to developmental progress while also being able to compare the progress of each infant to others in its birth cohort.

Again, if this is for some reason harder for you to do than I expect, then no worries – rest assured I’ll keep watching no matter what.

Thanks for considering this.

15. Rhonda Colwell says:

It has hit the fan on YouTube. Those Cambodian VO’s have finally gone too far. Word is all monkey videos will de-monetized. If that happens, please keep doing videos and set up a way your viewers can help subsidize you for your time and effort. I will gladly pay for the privilege of keeping up with the lovely Hong Kong monkeys.

16. Rustyanne says:

Yup. Arroz , they have finally destroyed Amari’s troop…. Popeye is either missing or dead. The VOs are saying she’s deceased. Some kind of snap trap , apparently, in the middle of an area with patrols for tourist safety.. hmmmm.
    Let’s review: Amari goes blind and is rescued , her baby is injured , Brutus is murdered , Achap killed, Donald. .. *poof*,.. lori.. Danielle.. too many to name. How do you destroy a troop? Take out the Alphas. How long will they get away with it???

17. Pamela K Burris says:

It just makes me sick how they are doing these wonderful monkeys. They are poisoning the mothers and babies dieing with no Mom. Has to be something that can be done

18. Gordana says:

I have become addicted to your videos and your extraordinary narration. I guess you are quite upset by the development of the latest events and moves by the authorities in your city. I heard in the news program that the British government will provide citizenship for 3 million Hong Kong citizens who no longer want to live in HC. I hope you will continue your work. Hold on, big greetings from Serbia.

19. Dianne says:

Arroz Marrisco…I love your videos and your voice and comments. Please help Nora get sterilized . She has tortured her babies and killed her last baby by throwing her around and not feeding her. Terrible.Only 3 weeks old.

1. Kathie Kossor says:

Hi Dianne. Unfortunately Arroz cannot do that. It’s very random when they come around to sterilize… both in date and who they sterilize. They bait a cage for a few days with food so the monkeys get comfortable going in there. Then when they decide to come around with the Mobile surgery, whoever is in the cage get’s sterilized. There is really no one to report to about this and better for nature to handle. I know it’s very sad. Even if there were someone to report this to, Arroz has said that they will just euthanize the monkey. I know it’s not the answer you were hoping to receive, but it’s the cold truth.

20. Penny Campbell says:

I feel badly asking this question as you are so busy. But I have researched fir answers like a mad woman. LOL.
    As you know the horrible “ rescued”
    Babies In Vietnam and Cambodia.
    Being housed for money on YTUBE 😡 I cannot seem to find the right associations to report in Vietnam.
    To only hope that they could go to remove these babies!
    I know it means a search by may people but hopefully they can find some of them from there videos as they seem to be getting quite bold with there faces and going to there local areas on video.
    Thank you for considering this and of course at you convenience.
    Have a wonderful day today.
    Fall is approaching here iN Canada and it’s a lovely season😊😷